Friday, December 30, 2011

We Should Really Take Cooking Lessons

Well Happy Almost New Year! I've been thinking about my New Year's resolutions - but then I have a "shiny penny moment" and forget to write about them.  So it may be a few days in that I finally get to write about them.  I should probably re-read last years, especially since I most likely tweaked them to not really working.

But instead of recapping our Christmas, you can go ahead and yell now, I've decided to cover other things. I mean, do you really want me to to talk about how we woke up, ate, opened presents and then traveled 97 miles around town? I didn't think so - but I will tell you that you should be prepared for a boat load of pictures since one of my new fangled gifts was a lens for my camera.  Oh yes - this baby does wonders....and if you see approximately 482 pictures of Tyson on a blog post that has nothing to do with the actual subject, please keep scrolling.  Let's be honest, his pictures will probably be more exciting to look at that whatever I am writing about.

Photo 1 of many of Tyson...but look what a good model he is!
Okay....so first shiny penny moment of writing this blog.

Anyway....Tony and I have been trying to be very good about making dinner and keeping it pretty healthy.  Remember, my trainers can see everything I write down that I eat...pressure is on.  So this week we planned out all of our meals - did our shopping and Tony even made dinner on Wednesday night.  Which is awesome for me, since I get home from class about 8 pm and am generally starving.

However, Wednesday I was running a bit behind, chatting to others of course, but I started getting worried when I had two missed calls, three texts to call him when I got out of class, and received a phone call while walking out.  This could not be good.

Me: Hey, what's up?
Tony: Ugh, well I think I just ruined dinner.
Me: What? (I"M STARVING...in my head of course) How?
Tony: Well, um, I didn't read through the recipe and didn't drain the beans and now instead of chili it's more like soup.
*Side note, this "chili" was only supposed to take about 20 minutes (thank you Cooking Light for your 20 minutes or less meals) and besides sauteing some onions, everything was a dump and simmer.

Me: Oh well, I'm sure it's fine - I bet it's not as bad as you think.
Tony: No, it's ruined, I mean I really messed it up.  It's not going to be good now.
Me: Now you get all the stress and pressure I'm under when I cook!
Tony: Whatever!!!

(And yes - that last whatever did happen....followed by laughter and something about how it's not that hard. However, I don't call him when I 'mess up')

So his 'mess up' was only not draining and rinsing the beans. It's a good thing I bought the reduced sodium ones.

Surprisingly, it wasn't bad at all - it actually was delicious and all we had to do was throw in a little bit of flour and it thickened right up.  Plus he made corn bread that popped right out of the muffin tins...last time I made corn bread, it fell apart.  Guess who had a big head after that excitement??

Of course, the next night, dinner....well, let's just say hot doesn't begin to describe the heat.

Again, I turned to Cooking Light for a quick, easy, and healthy meal. Spicy Asian Lettuce Wraps.  Sounds easy, right? Well, it was. Nothing to complain about there.  However, instead of the chile sauce with garlic, all we had was sirrachi sauce. Eh, it looked about the same, I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad.  Big mistake, huge.

That mistake turned into a bigger mistake when I started noticing that I accidentally doubled the recipe. Thinking I would just lessen the sirrachi sauce a tiny bit, it would be fine.  Plus I had more chicken, so it would all be good to go.

Holy hot sauce.

Tony and I had to have approximately 4 glasses of milk - each - just to feel our tongues again.

Needless to say, we did not save any of the spicy Asian lettuce wraps for leftovers. Good luck to those nasty cats who want to go through our trash!

Between the hot sauce at the three bean chili (yes, three kinds of beans, I was optimistic) its been an interesting couple of days at our house.  Just kidding....but I do think Tyson grabbed some of those beans...hello gassy!

So looking back, I probably just need to take cooking lessons. Apparently Tony has great skills, knows how to remedy a recipe and can make cornbread not stick to the pan.

Looks like we're having meatballs for life!
Ugh. His ego is going to get so much bigger. Guess I'll just stick to making cereal and waffles for dinner. Rarely do I ruin those...rarely.


My first non-burnt Breakfast Pizza...taken with my new lens...get ready for more pictures of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment